Musings from some former inhabitants of the sprawling metropolis that is Prudhomme City

Tuesday, October 30, 2007

The Eyes of Nothingness

So today I had a big test, but that's not what I want to talk about. That would be insanely boring...for both us. The following post may only be coma-inducing for one of us. That'd be you, fav peep. Anyway, during a break from studying, I happened, flipping through channels, to stumble upon CourtTV, and that is when divine providence laid a big ol' gift in my lap. You see, last summer I was obssessed with the case of Darren Mack. Click on the link if you want the full skinny. The one sentence rundown is that this cat stabbed his soon-to-be ex-wife to death and then shot the judge who was presiding over their custody hearing. I promised myself that I would keep up with the juiciness, but what with life, I forgot all about it. Today, they were covering his trial on CourtTV. Thank you, baby Jesus, for channeling my TV viewing. I yelped with delight when I realized what I was seeing. I never even turn on CourtTV. I'm telling you- divine intervention, people! Most of the coverage today was witness testimony from his girlfriend discussing how they'd gone target shooting the day before he went all O.J., whacked the spouse, and tried to take out the judge. Fascinating stuff since he is using two defenses in one trial for both offenses. You gotta love trial economy. His defense for aerating his wife is that it was self-defense. After he took her out, he officially went nuts and tried to kill the judge. Thus, the insanity defense on that. His lawyers are all freaked out. They want to sever the charges. You know, separate trials for each violation, but that Darren, he controls his own destiny and insists on doing one trial with the two separate defenses. The commentators mentioned a God complex on the part of Darren, and I'm going to go with a yea vote on that one. The best part was that they had to break off coverage just as the judge was about to testify. This had me rubbing my hands with glee. It's like a soap opera, y'all! I can't wait for tomorrow. And even though I am supposed to be doing a big a** literature review, there's no way I'm missing that, yo!

In other fantastical, much ado about nothing news, have you guys seen this show on Discovery Channel Everest: Beyond the Limit? Dude, I cannot for the life of me figure out why people want to do this. It sounds absolutely friggin' awful. Maybe they're over-dramatizing for TV, but I don't know. Is there actual fun in being sick as a dog from altitude sickness, from wheezing, from puking, from diarrhea, from frostbite, from the possibility of your a** being frozen to a mountainside for eternity? I don't get it. I have zero desire to "test the limits of my endurance." At most, I'd like to take a gander at Everest from the base. Testing my limits would maybe involve making it to advanced base camp. If I were able to do that, I'd be good to go, as far as adventure is concerned, for decades.

Lastly, I have a book recommendation for any of you that actually still read. It disturbs me immensely that at least five people have told me their middle or high school English teacher leeched any joy they had for the written word out of them. That's part of the reason why I abandoned the profession. I don't want to be responsible for that. It's a tragedy. Back to the point, Running with Scissors. Awesome book! It's a memoir, and it is so totally whacked out, you will not believe it. It's worth reading for the shock value, and the fact that you can say to yourself, "I thought I was messed up, but at least I'm not that dude!" I do issue a warning that if you have issues with graphic language and/or discussion of homosexuality, this is not the book for you. But it is C-R-A-Z-Y! So, if you get off on that, like I do, you'll love it. Plus, it is hilarious. Like, laugh out loud funny. If you do end up reading it, shoot me an email and tell me if you enjoyed it. There is a movie out on DVD that's based on the book, but I strongly suggest you read it. I know people always say this, but seriously, there is no way a movie can do this book justice.

As my mother-in-law would say, over and out. And no, I do not know where she picked up the endearing trucker lingo. Have a great rest of the week, my peeps!

No comments: