Musings from some former inhabitants of the sprawling metropolis that is Prudhomme City

Sunday, October 19, 2008

Cajun Football 2008: Can You Say Comeback Win?

by CajunKate

So I know, I know. I've totally been M.I.A. on the blog recently. Busy bee over here what with that school thing and all. But I crawled out from under my rock to attend the UL tailgating and festivities yesterday.

The weather yesterday was beyond perfect for football. I remember that clear into the end of October last year I was either sweating bullets or drenched in rain at the Cajun football games, so a day with clear blue skies and temps in the mid-70's was a true miracle. And, man, were people pumped up to see the Cajuns play! I went to the tailgating site around 10:30 AM to drop off some stuff, and there were already a TON of people out partying and cooking (and MY GOD did it smell good!) Keep in mind kickoff was not until 6:00 PM!

After dropping off the stuff, I went to work out. This was pretty much exercise in futility as I pretty much knew whatever calories I burned off would be consumed in triplicate later at tailgating. Which is exactly what happened. Damn you, Krewe de Chew, and your awesome grub!

Alex has a really bad cold right now, and he needed to stay home and rest so I was riding solo through the festivities. Ain't no shame in a woman dragging an ice chest laden with cold beer half-a-mile to the KdC site. That's my motto! Here are some shots of what greeted me at the tailgating:


Yeah, that's a s**tload of people!

Tons more peeps at the KdC tents


I have no idea what the heck inspired Brenda to bring a rubber chicken to the game, but I put nothing past any KdC member ever. Rubber chickens now seem most tame after some of the things I've seen.


Randy...He...Maybe...I really have no words.


Grand Chew doin' what he does best- CHILLIN', yo!


See that fancy game program Kenny is reading? Yeah, well the Krewe de Chew had a full page feature (p.85) and I had a recipe featured (p.86) as did C. Roy. I have no doubts my fame will spread hence forth. Reality TV here I come!

Molly brought the boys to the game. Ted was busy at a volleyball tournament, so babysitter Claire was brought along to help kid wrangle. (Have I mentioned I love Claire? She's the sweetest and bestest. I wish I did have kids just so Claire could babysit them. That's how awesome she is!) The boys had a great time playing football and watching the band do their thang outside the stadium. Max, especially, loves all that stuff.


This is Dad and Max with the new prez of UL, Dr. Joe Savoie. Obviously, our rep has spread far and wide.



The boys playing some football


Mary Grace and John Thomas gettin' their grub on!

Ragin Cajun pride- Daigle style, baby!

Gabe and Max check out the band before the game


Johnny T, less than impressed with the band

Inside the game, I walked down to the field so I could get some pics of the pre-game festivities and the team entrance.

Pride of Acadian pre-game show


Team captains


Cajuns take the field!

After the Ragin Cajun rabid fan version stalkerazzi, I lugged my fat a** up to the second level to sit with Molly, Claire, and the tribe. John Thomas spent most of the time using my camera or asking me when he could use my camera again. For example he took this lovely pic of me:

My look of disbelief has to do with a tale of hair terror being told to me by Molly involving stylist error and her attempts at correcting that error ON HER OWN with L'Oreal products. Now, if it were me, my hair wold be green or I'd be bald. But Molly, being Superwoman and all, looked beautiful and I told her how nice her hair looked.
Life is not fair, people!


In between taking pics, JT ate peanuts...


...as did Gabe

...and Mary Grace.


Sam spent the majority of time looking for his nemesis:

CAYENNE, THE PEPPER! Sam hates this thing! There's nothing more amusing when bored at a Cajuns game where Sam is in attendance than to start the "I think I saw Cayenne the Pepper on his way over here!" Cruel, but oh so funny.

As for the game itself, what a freakin' nail biter! With the starting QB (Mike "Dez" Desormeaux) out, we struggled on offense, and when the backup QB (Brad McGuire) threw a pick 6 with about 7 minutes left to put the Cajuns down by 9, I have to admit that I was not feeling optimistic. But danged if this Cajun team really is in it to win it this year! They did not give up! They marched right down the field, scored a TD, held on defense, scored another TD, and held off the last second Hail Mary pass by Arkie State.


Final score!


Cajuns and students celebrate!

Whew! It was awesome to finally be the team that was on the good end of a comeback. AND, the Cajuns are now undefeated in conference- AWESOME! Have a winning record- AWESOME! And Tyrell Fenroy is only 30 yards short of becoming only the 7th NCAA player ever to have 4 straight 1,000 yard seasons- AWESOME!

Now the Cajuns have an open week to rest up and get Dez healthy in time for Homecoming on November 8. Geaux Cajuns!

No comments: