Musings from some former inhabitants of the sprawling metropolis that is Prudhomme City

Saturday, May 29, 2010

My Eggplant Fries Recipe

by CajunKate

So, by popular demand (meaning one person asked me for it- Thanks, Sarah R.!- but I like to boost my self-esteem in any way I can), here is the recipe I use for eggplant fries…when I am not feeling lazy. If I am feeling lazy, I skip the egg part and just do flour. But the egg method is preferable if you like a thicker coating, which I do.

Eggplant Fries:

Eggplant, peeled and cut lengthwise (The eggplant from my garden are smaller than the grocery store eggplant, so I usually use 2 or 3, but 1 big ‘un from the grocery would suffice. Cut it into “fries,” people. It ain’t rocket science. If it was, I’d never be able to make these. I can’t even do normal science.)

2 eggs

½ cup milk

1 cup flour

Seasoning (Whatever you like in whatever quantity you like. I use Tony Chachere’s liberally.)

Vegetable or canola oil

Beat the eggs and milk together in one bowl. Mix flour and seasoning in another bowl. Heat an inch or two of the oil in a heavy-duty pan. Get it nice and hot. Dip eggplant fries in flour, shake off excess, and dip in egg mixture. Dip once more in flour.

Fry in batches (don’t overload the pan!) until golden brown on all sides. Drain on paper towels. Salt and pepper to taste. Keep fries in a warm oven until you’re ready to serve.

Enjoy!

Serves 3-4. (or two in the gluttonous Mottram household)

(Note: These are actually really good as an appetizer served with a garlic aioli for dipping. You can google a recipe for that. I’m tired of typing. What? I told you I was lazy.)

No comments: